I am OSENI, Islamiat Arinola from ISERH Undergraduate Studies Class 4.
I will be facilitating the topic Combining Academics with other skills (Reasons and Importance)
I would be focusing more on the reasons and importance because I have come across a lot of undergraduates that don’t seem to understand why they need to learn/acquire others skills aside from their certificates.
They simply ask ‘Why do I need to learn something else aside from my certificate?’
Moving on I would like to stare few reasons why undergraduates need to learn other skills aside from the certificate (skills away from Academics) while they are in school. Reasons why undergraduates need to combine other skills with their Academics.
The reasons are:
- To support yourself financially while in school: I have a couple of my friends who are making it big from web development and graphics designing now. They don’t need to request from money at home. They feed, clothe and pay dues on their own based on the legit job they are doing .
- To give you a edge over others in the labour market: I was at a conference before the out break of the pandemic (COVID-19), then I heard a speaker say ‘Degree is now water, you can easily find it on the street’. Thinking about it… He’s right.. You can easily find someone with a degree on the street. I once met an okada rider who is a graduate, I have heard stories of graduates who are doing different jobs to make ends meet.
Here is my question:
What are you doing differently as an Undergraduate that would give you a edge over others in the labour market?
Based on facts from University World news degree holders sets to double by 300 million by 2030.
Jobberman says Nigerian tertiary education institutions produce up to 500,000 graduates every year and there are also Nigerian graduates who study abroad who come home to compete for jobs.
Report says 2015 alone, about 251,000 formal jobs were created whereas popular estimates show that Nigerian universities produce 500,000 graduates annually.
Based on this facts and figures we can easily deduce that we have more graduates than the jobs provided.
How do you intend to fight for your space?
Therefore, the time for you to act is now. As an Undergraduate you have the time, energy and resources to learn whatever you want…
I would be listing some high paying skills of the 21st century.
- Digital skills: Graphics designing, Web development, Programming, digital marketing, blogging e.t.c
- Communication skills ( Listening, speaking and writing)
- Creative and critical thinking and problem solving
- Leadership and management skills.
There are a lot of others I didn’t mention because of time, you can make further research to see the one that interests you.
Importance of combining Academics with other skills as an Undergraduate
- Skills such as active listening, collaboration, presenting ideas and communicating with colleagues are all highly valued in the modern workplace. Strong soft skills ensure a productive, collaborative and healthy work environment, all crucial attributes for organisations in an increasingly competitive world.
- skills are important because they enable students to adjust to the frustrations and challenges they will encounter in their adult life, as well as the demands of work. Mastering some skills help students learn, live and work better.
- Having the right skills skills make it easier to form relationships with people, create trust and dependability, and lead teams.
- It improves employers satisfaction and also promotes employer to employee’s relationship
I am Oseni Islamiat Arinola known as Arinola be-inspired. I am a student of Biochemistry of the University of Ilorin, Ilorin, Kwara State, Nigeria. I am a student parliamentarian, writer, public speaker,serial Volunteer, Blogger and Host at Be Inspired with Arinola. I am passionate about helping others and I am always ready to inspire others while I get inspired as well. It’s all about inspiration.